Santa Barbara Drunk Driving Defense
How to Avoid a DUI in Santa Barbara, California
- Wait 12 hours after your last drink before driving. Consider taking a cab, having a sober friend drive, walking, or taking a hotel room. This is the easiest, safest way to avoid a DUI.
- Make sure all of your headlights, tail, brake, and signal lights are all working properly and that you have both rear and front license plates. Make sure that you turn on your headlights at night. Make sure your registration is current and properly displayed. Keep your car in good shape. Do not drive without a valid license and proof of insurance in your possession. You should keep your license, registration and insurance documents in the same place (put them all in an envelope in your glove box before you go out at night).
- Be polite and respectful. Obey the rules of the road: Drive at a reasonable speed, and at or below the maximum limit. Don't weave or lane straddle. Use your turn signals. Come to a complete stop at stop signs and red lights. If you have a flashy car know that everyone, including police, is looking at you. Make sure the flash is legal. Do not throw cigarettes or trash out of the car window. Don't blast loud music from your car. Make your drunk friends puke before they get in the car. If you do nothing to attract attention, then you will not be pulled over.
- DO NOT TAKE ANY VOLUNTARY BALANCE OR COORDINATION TESTS, and DO NOT LET THE OFFICER CHECK YOUR EYES - Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (after all, he is not an "ophthalmologist" or an "optometrist").
- If you are 21, or older, DO NOT TAKE A "PAS" breath test (preliminary alcohol screening test). Tell the police you have been told the portable test is not as accurate as the real "implied consent" tests and that you know you don't have to take it.
- If arrested and accused of DUI, make your first choice to take a Urine test. If the police won't give you that option, take a breath test, then ask the police to give you a test that will save a sample. Choose Urine, and make sure and explain to the police that you want a sample by the least invasive and painless procedure, with the least chance of being infected with "Aids" or Hepatitis "C".
- If arrested, immediately hire an attorney who is a specialist member of California DUI Attorneys Association, and a member of the National College for DUI Defense, as well as one who is trained and certified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and The International Association for Chiefs of Police (IACP). This will insure that your lawyer is highly skilled in DUI defense.